Scholarships and Financial Support
The History Department typically employs 20-25 graduate students per semester to assist
professors with grading responsibilities and serve as teaching assistants. This year
we have also employed students as Graduate Assistants to professors working on various
research projects. Applications are sent out to interested students each semester
by the graduate adviser.
The department offers several scholarships for outstanding graduate students in History.
Please see our scholarships page for more information.
Student Direct Apply
Students may directly apply for these awards.
- Graduate Equity Fellowship: A fellowship for master's students that are California residents, have a 3.00 GPA, and demonstrate a financial need.
- Graduate Student Travel Funds: An award given to students for travel associated with research, scholarly, and creative activities.
- CSU Chancellor's Doctoral Incentive Program (CDIP): A forgivable loan for doctoral students looking to teach within the CSU system.
- Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholarship: A scholarship for juniors, seniors, and master's students interested in obtaining research doctorates.
Faculty Nomination Only
These awards are available only by nomination. Students must be nominated by their graduate program advisor/director for these awards. Nominations are typically requested in spring for distribution the following academic year.
- University Graduate Fellowship: A competitive two-year fellowship with a minimum annual stipend of $30,000. In one year, the student is funded by the College of Graduate Studies; in the other year, the student is funded by a matching commitment made by the faculty mentor.
- Presidential Graduate Research Fellowship: A competitive program providing a nonresident tuition waiver for out-of-state and international students. It waives the $396 per unit fee for nonresident students.
- Master’s Research Scholarship: A competitive one-year program awarding excellent master’s students with a $10,000 scholarship.